(UK FREE) +44 (0) 7598376064 | +34 96 673 13 53

Tax & Compliance

tax lawyer in spain

Tax Legal Services for Expatriates

Filing your tax return in Spain can be overwhelming, especially if you’re a foreigner and not familiar with the local tax laws. At Fontanals Solicitors, we are experts in tax law and can help you navigate the complexities of the Spanish fiscal system.

Our team will work with you to understand your unique situation and determine the most efficient and risk-free way to file your taxes. Let us help you file your tax return in Spain with confidence and peace of mind. With our expertise, you can feel assured that your tax return is in good hands.

Schedule a free consultation

What taxes do I have to pay in Spain?

In Spain, your income tax obligations depend on your fiscal residence status. If you are not a citizen of a country belonging to the European Union and you plan to reside in Spain for more than 180 days, you will need to establish your residence, which will also make you a tax resident. This means that you will be responsible for paying tax on all of your worldwide income, but you can avoid double taxation on taxes that you may have already paid for the same income outside of Spain.

If you are a citizen of a member state of the European Union, you will be considered a tax resident if you physically stay in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar year. It is recommended that you apply for residence in advance if you plan to stay for this length of time.

  • As a tax resident, your income from work and the benefits you receive from your property will be taxed at a progressive rate between 19% and 48%. Your savings income will be taxed at a rate between 19% and 26%.
  • As a non-resident, you will only be responsible for paying a fixed tax on your assets in Spain. The rate for EU citizens is 19%, and for non-EU citizens, it is 24%.

Related services

Tax Planning

We will assess how to organise your tax returns and ensure that the burden is as low as possible.

Tax return

We help you prepare and file your annual tax return, advising you on the most efficient option.

Spanish Transfer taxes

We will ensure the tax efficiency of the operation from start to finish.

Donation tax

It is levied on gifts of movable or immovable property free of charge. We will help you to find the optimal formula that best suits your interests.

Local taxes

These are the responsibility of the autonomous communities and local councils. We will keep you always informed so that you can plan for them.

Dissolution of assets

We will protect your interests throughout the process by ensuring that the distribution meets your expectations.

3% Refund

If the seller is a non-resident and has obtained a capital gain of zero or less than 3%, he can recover all or part of this amount by carrying out the necessary procedures.


Do I have to pay taxes in Spain if I own property?


In Spain, any person who owns a property has to pay annual taxes.


  • Real Estate Tax (IBI)
  • Income tax
  • Capital Gains Tax


  • Real Estate Tax (IBI)
  • Non-Resident Income Tax

What services we offer as experts solicitors?

  • Tax Advice: We provide personalized advice tailored to your specific situation, ensuring you understand your tax obligations and opportunities for optimization.
  • Calculate Your Spanish Tax Liability: Our team assists you in accurately determining your tax liability in Spain, taking into account various factors and applicable regulations.
  • File Your Spanish Tax Returns: We guide you through the process of filing your tax returns in compliance with Spanish tax laws, ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
  • Advice on Spanish Tax Planning: We help you develop effective tax planning strategies to minimize your tax burden and maximize your financial objectives.
  • Help You to Comply with Spanish Tax Laws: Our solicitors experts ensure you are fully compliant with Spanish tax laws and regulations, avoiding penalties and potential legal issues.
  • Tax for an Owner of Property in Spain: If you own property in Spain, we provide specialized tax advice related to property ownership, rental income, and other property-related tax matters.